Set easy to obtain New Year’s Resolutions for yourself to make your year even better!
January is here, but that doesn’t mean it’s too late to make a New Year’s resolution. However, while many Americans do make resolutions, only about 8% actually keep them. If you want to be part of that 8%, here are some tips on making resolutions you can keep.
The first thing to consider is whether your resolution is actually something you can do. For example, resolving to spend more time with family is great, but your life isn’t magically going to have more time in it. Instead, figure out what your true priorities are and delegate lesser responsibilities to others, even if that means hiring someone else to do some yardwork or housecleaning.
If you’ve been yearning for love in your life, avoid resolving to find it. This will only put more pressure on any blossoming relationships and could force feelings that aren’t really there. Instead, try focusing on yourself this year and you might be surprised how your inner confidence and glow attracts the right kind of people into your life.
Another step in actually succeeding with your goals is by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable goals. For example, if you want to save $5,000 this year, set a goal of $100 a week. If you can do that, you will more than reach your goal by the end of the year.
What resolutions are you setting for 2017? Let us at Dick Dyer Toyota know in the comments below!
Ferrari-Powered Toyota 86
The Toyota 86 is already a highly regarded sports car around the world, but one driver thinks it could use a bit more power. Meet Ryan Tuerck, a professional drifting driver, and his seemingly crazy plan. Tuerck, unsatisfied with the sports car’s motor, is foregoing formalities and has put a Ferrari engine under the hood.
The Ferrari F136 V8 engine is stock in the Ferrari 458 Speciale and puts out nearly 600 hp. With several best engine awards under its belt, Tuerck clearly isn’t playing around.
The Toyota 86 is also known as the Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S depending on what market you’re in. All three models will have the same build, including the engine. A Ferrari-powered Toyota 86 isn’t something that has ever been done before and we here at Dick Dyer Toyota can’t wait to see the end result!
Tuerck seems to be running into a few obstacles along his journey. For starters, the massive V8 engine is both taller and longer than the base 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine. In order to make room for the motor, the team had to cut the car down.
This Ferrari-powered Toyota 86 won’t be used for competitions, which means Tuerck can make any modifications he wants or needs to in order for this monster to run soundly. That’s good news and hopefully we’ll see this wild ride sooner rather than later.
Fun For The Whole Family!
Whether you’re heading out on the road or spending the season at home, summer is a great for some rest and relaxation. You don’t have to take a vacation to have an excellent time this summer! In fact, everything you need could be right at home and you don’t even know it. Here are some of the best summer activities from us here at Dick Dyer Toyota to help you get the most out of the season.
Hammock – One of the most iconic ways to spend summer, laying in a hammock is as relaxing as can be. Once you have the hammock up, whether hung between trees or sitting on the porch, lay back and take a nice, long nap.
Grilling – Summer is a great time to try new recipes, whether it’s at a neighborhood barbecue or at a family gathering. From simple steps to complicated formulas, grilling is a great way to relax. Best of all, once most meats are on the grill, there’s little left to do but keep an eye out and enjoy the smell!
Swimming – A great way to beat the summer heat, swimming is a classic summer activity that anyone can enjoy. Hit up the local swimming pool or find a large swimming hole. Make sure to keep an eye on the kids!
Summer is known for hot days and cool nights where friends and families come together for a time they’ll never forget. In order to get to a gathering, many summer drivers rely on their car. If your car isn’t in good shape, odds are you’ll find yourself (or your car) burning up. Here’s a few ways to keep your car cool during the summer from us here at Dick Dyer Toyota!
- Coolant – In charge of keeping your engine cool, it’s important to ensure you have plenty of coolant, also known as antifreeze. If you find your car is running low, just add more by following the instructions in your owner’s manual. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to check your oil as well since one of its main functions is to carry away excess heat.
- Windows – One of the more obvious ways to keep your car cool is to crack your windows while your car bakes in the hot sun. Doing so will allow hot air to escape.
- Air Conditioning – Hot air rises. Most drivers know that. By blowing air conditioning through the footwell vents upon starting the car, the hot air will be pushed up and out, leaving you with less time spent in the heat.
Back in the day, all of the cool kids used to go outside of town, smoke cigarettes, listen to rock-n-roll, and drag race. These days, there’s a much cooler–and much safer–game being played.
It’s called hypermiling. The object of the game is to beat the EPA-estimated mpg numbers for your vehicle. Sound like fun? Here are some hypermiling tips to help you get started…
Give Yourself Plenty of Time
To win the game of hypermiling, one thing you are going to have to give up is time. Maybe not as much as you might think, but inevitably, it’s going to take longer to get wherever you want to go.
Take It Easy
The most significant thing you can do to up your mpg numbers is to drive extremely easy. That means two things: laid-back acceleration and early, soft braking. When you take off from a stoplight or stop sign, take your time getting up to speed. When approaching an area where you may have to stop, brake early. Braking too soon means you may have to accelerate to get back up to speed.
Record Your Progress
If the goal is to continually improve your numbers, you need to record those numbers. There are a lot of smartphone apps out there that make it extremely easy to do so! You can also compete with friends.
Do you have any tips to add? Let us know in the comments below!
If you’ve ever been in a car accident, odds are you already know how expensive they can be and you probably have car insurance as a result. One in eight drivers chooses to forego car insurance and that can be a major problem. With over six million accidents every year, insurance is a necessity. Here’s some information on why you need car insurance from us here at Dick Dyer Toyota!
- Accidents can happen anywhere. You’ve probably seen cars pulled off on the side of the road due to an accident. They can happen anywhere and when they do, they usually aren’t pretty. Property damage alone costs $9,300 on average according to the National Safety Council. Once you add in medical expenses, that number can rise above $80,000.
- Accidents can happen at any time. Day or night, accidents can happen. While you may be confident in your ability, you aren’t the only driver on the road. If you have car insurance, you’re covered no matter who causes an accident.
- Insurance might be required by law. Many states require every driver to maintain a minimum amount of coverage. While the amount can vary state to state, the punishments are generally the same. Getting caught on the road without insurance can lead to a suspended license, impounded vehicle, and hefty fines. Avoiding all of that is as easy as making a monthly car insurance payment.
Driving a cool car is fun, but it’s even more fun when you can drive it to cool places! Columbia, South Carolina is filled with locations worth detouring to, including a wide selection of fancy, flavorful eateries. If you want to try a new bistro tonight, we suggest going to one of these great restaurants in Columbia.
- Saluda’s: This upscale restaurant on Saluda Avenue serves up re-imagined Southern cuisine.
- Alodia’s Cucina Italiana: Known as the best Italian eatery in the area, Alodia’s is a family restaurant where everything tastes like heaven.
- Motor Supply Co. Bistro: We don’t just love this place for its name, but also for its innovative menu supplied by local ingredients.
- Solstice Kitchen: A romantic place whose menu changes with the seasons, this intimate American restaurant will please your date and your taste buds.
- Cellar on the Greene: While this bar specializes in a wide selection of wines, it also serves up simple, scrumptious dishes to accompany your drink.
Have any favorite restaurants you’d recommend?
Make your car look as good as new with these tips on how to wax your car!
You’ve washed your car and got the bugs off, but now you need to keep it clean. Waxing your car is the perfect way to preserve your car’s paint and keep it looking good over its lifespan. If you aren’t interested in keeping your car and want to sell it down the road, waxing will increase its resale value as well. No matter the reason, we here at Dick Dyer Toyota can help you with our expert tips on how to wax your car.
The first thing you’ll need to acquire, to properly wax your car, is an electric orbital buffer. You can wax your car by hand but that isn’t nearly as efficient. Owning a buffer will also give you the chance to get rid of any light scratches before you apply the wax.
Once you’re done buffing, apply some car wax to a clean pad. Pulse the trigger to apply the wax evenly across the surface of the car. Holding the trigger continuously could cause the wax to cake and that doesn’t look good.
Once you’ve applied the wax, check the bottle to determine how long it needs to sit before removal. When it’s ready, take a microfiber cloth and wipe in circular motions for that high gloss shine.
Now that summer is here, it’s time to hit the beach! Of course, the beach is a classic hot spot to not only get tanned – but also burned. Sunburns are more than just a source of temporary discomfort. Prolonged exposure to ultraviolet radiation can cause premature skin aging and even skin cancer.
Defend yourself at the beach this year, by using these sunscreen tips to protect your skin:
- Know the difference between chemical sunscreens and physical sunscreens, which offer different UV filters and require differing application processes.
- Be sure to cover all exposed skin – even your toes, ears, and as much of your scalp as you can.
- Consider wearing loose clothing when outside the water, or look into a floppy, brimmed hat.
- Check the expiration date on your sunscreen. There is a very good chance that expired sunscreens will not work. It’s worth it to pitch the old and buy more.
- Set an alarm on your cell phone to remind you to re-apply sunscreen every couple of hours, even if you haven’t gotten in the water.
How do you protect yourself from the sun at the beach? Please, let us know in the comments.
Your kids are back in school and you’re back to chauffeuring them, their friends and their books, gadgets and equipment all over town. In the past, having a busy family has typically equated to having a messy car. Howver, at Dick Dyer Toyota, we believe that this doesn’t have to be true. We have compiled some great car organization tips to help keep your vehicle in tip top shape throughout the year.
1) Use a plastic cereal storage container as a trash can. This will help keep your kids’ snack trash from finding its way all over the floor of your car. Also, the snap close top means that trash won’t go rolling out if it tips over.
2) Use plastic shower caddy for eating. You can put food and snacks in the openings where shampoo would normally go so you no longer have to eat out of the drive-thru bag…or off of your lap. This is great for famiy dinners on-the-go.
3) Invest in a good trunk organizer. You can find them online and at various organization stores. This will keep your cargo from rolling around in your trunk.
4) Fill an old tissue box with plastic bags. Sweaty socks? Rain-soaked clothes? No problem! You have plenty of spare bags to keep your cabin neat and clean.
5) Keep snacks in a plastic, sectioned organizer. With the different sections, you can fill with different types of snacks. This eliminates the various bags and boxes that get thrown around in the back seat of the car.
We hope that this will help your family get everywhere you need to go without a hitch- or a spill! Let us know how you keep your car organized during these busy fall months.